Travelling is good for the mind and body. It changes the way we look at life and has the potential to help us de-stress and relax. However, travelling has its own perils. For example, when you travel to a new country, you can be exposed to diseases or get injured. These emergencies can derail your travel plans, and the treatment can dent your finances.
However, if you have a travel medical insurance policy with international coverage, then you don’t have to worry about the expenses and can focus on getting better and resuming your journey. Today, we will discuss how an international travel medical insurance policy works.
Typically, an international travel insurance policy includes coverage for medical and non-medical exigencies. The non-medical emergencies include trip cancellation or modification, loss or delay of baggage, loss of passport, etc. In this article, we will be discussing the medical coverage offered by such travel insurance plans.
What is a Travel Medical Insurance Policy?
A travel health insurance policy reimburses the cost of any emergency hospitalisation incurred during a trip. During your trip, if you get ill or injured and require medical attention, then this policy covers the costs of hospitalisation, provided the illness or injury is on the list of inclusions. It is important to note that this policy is valid only for the period for which you are travelling.
Primary benefits of an international travel insurance policy:
- Financial assistance – Since such policies cover the hospitalisation costs of any illness or injury, you can be assured of getting treated without denting your finances.
- Immediate medical attention – A few years ago, when international travel medical insurance policies were not available, travellers would either spend a fortune on medical treatments or delay it until they got back home. With a travel health insurance policy, you can start your treatment right away!
- Non-financial assistance – Language can be a huge barrier when travelling to a foreign country. ComIn addition, communicating your condition when you don’t know the local language can be a challenge. Most travel medical insurance policies offer assistance in such cases and have a local coordinator help you with these situations.
Is the General Medical Insurance Policy Enough?
Most medical insurance policies do not offer coverage if you fall ill or get injured outside the geographical boundaries of the country. Therefore, unless your medical insurance policy includes international coverage, you will need to invest in an international travel health insurance policy to get covered.
Coverage Offered By Travel Medical Insurance Policies
While insurers can specify the coverage they offer, here is a list of medical emergencies that are usually included by such policies:
- Heart attack
- Broken bones due to an accident
- Emergency dental procedures
- Emergency medical transport
- Emergency medical evacuation, etc.
Remember, these policies usually do not offer coverage for preventive or cosmetic procedures. They are meant for emergencies alone. Also, routine or regular checkups are excluded from the coverage.
Is It Mandatory to Buy a Travel Medical Policy?
Many countries mandatorily require travellers to have an active insurance policy before entering the country. These countries are:
- Ecuador and the Galapagos Islands
- Schengen Countries
- United Arab Emirates
- United States of America
However, it is recommended to purchase an international travel health insurance policy whenever you are travelling abroad as it offers financial protection against emergencies.
How to Choose the Right Travel Medical Insurance Policy?
Unlike your regular medical insurance policies, a travel insurance policy does not cover the cost of treatment of pre-existing diseases. Hence, before buying one, think about the country that you are planning to visit. You might want to consider its weather and local infections and ensure that the policy covers them. Further, if you are planning to be on the road for longer, then you might want to get a policy that offers a high sum insured for accidents. Also, compare insurers and try to find a provider that is reliable and has a reputation for being customer-centric.
While a trip can offer memories that last you a lifetime, they also come bundled with potential challenges and difficulties. You must take all precautions to ensure that you stay healthy during the course of your trip. However, if you fall ill or get injured, then a travel medical insurance policy can help you manage the emergency in a hassle-free manner.