When you start a great shower and see the water accumulating around your feet instead of draining out through the shower drain is utterly disappointing. It could transform your mood upside down soon, and also, you might feel worrisome about the problem.
The water won’t drain if the shower drain gets clogged due to debris and grimes. But you can eliminate the problem with this guideline on how to clear clogged shower drains. You can use boiled water or baking soda with vinegar for this purpose.
How to Clear Clogged Shower Drain
The shower drain may get a block with residual build-ups due to a lack of maintenance and cleaning over the years. Expert and reputable plumbers suggest that you clear the clogged drain ASAP to prevent further inconveniences.
Here’re the top three recommendations to unclog the shower drain and enjoy a peaceful bath without flooding inside the bathroom.
Use boil water:
Applying boil water treatment is the easiest way to unclog any blockage of the drains. You should boil enough water in a large kettle or saucepan and pour it right over the drain in a small amount multiple times.
The boiling water will weaken and remove the gunk to unclog the shower drain. However, you should be careful while pouring the boiled water on the drain. Otherwise, the scalding water might burn your hands. Also, avoid using this tip for PVC pipes since it might damage the PVCs. Henceforth, it works best with the metal pipes for the drain.
Apply baking soda and vinegar:
Have you ever participated in a science project at your elementary school? If yes, this method will be a walk in the park for you. Even if you haven’t used it earlier, we will simplify it.
- Mix 1/3rd cup of vinegar with baking soda. You should pour the mixture into a heat-resistant cup or bowl.
- As soon as you mix baking soda with vinegar, it will start fizzing. Now, it’s time to pour in the fizzing mixture on the shower drain.
- After pouring in the mixture on the drain shower, you should allow it to sit for an hour at least. It will help the mixture ensure a better chemical reaction and soften the gunk.
- After that, you should use the hot water from your bathtub faucet to rinse off the vinegar and baking soda mixture along with the residual build-up and gunk.
This method applies gunk and residues that are hard to remove with boiling water only.
Use a coat hanger:
Although it might appear an unheard trick, a coat hanger can easily remove the large blockades from the drain shower.
- Remove the shower drain cover with a screwdriver.
- Now, straighten a coat hanger but leave a tiny hook at one end of it.
- Insert the straightened coat hanger through the drain. Move it up and down to remove debris, including soap scum, hair, or small residual build-ups.
- Finally, pour boiling water or baking soda and vinegar mixture to eliminate the gunk with ease.
It will help you unclog the shower drain even if it has been blocked with the toughest elements.
We hope that these three tips on how to clear clogged shower drains should help you clean and maintain the drainpipe with ease. None of these methods will need any high-end plumbing skill either, and also, you can accomplish them without any cost at all.